Bordeaux played their final match in the Stade Jacques Chaban-Delmas last night against FC Nantes in the Derby de l’Atlantique. Originally known as Stade du Parc Lescure, the ground was first built in 1930 as a cycle racing track. In 1935 the stadium was reconfigured to host the 1938 world cup. This 34,463 seat ground has seen the Girondins De Bordeaux’s win all of their trophies, including six Ligue 1 titles and one Intertoto Cup. The Girondins will move into the new 43,000 capacity Stade Bordeaux-Atlantique (built for Euro 2016) for their final home game of the season against Montpellier.
The Navy and White faithful gathered in Bordeaux’s Place de la Republique ahead of the match. They then held a ‘corteo’ through the centre of the city leading up to their beloved grounds. Once inside, the fans opened the match with four distinct choreographies followed by a pyro show.
Bordeaux fans at the Place de la Republique
A history of the Girondin supporters, tracking the groups that have emerged and disappeared throughout the last several decades.
A history of the greatest players and moments in the Club’s history, printed on film-reel shaped canvases.
A massive choreography dedicated to the stadiums 4 different sections, including both curves.
A traditional striped choreography dedicated to the clubs colours of navy and white.
(Photo via Sudouest)
And finally, a Pyro who for the ages…
(Photo via UltrasTifo)
Bordeaux went on to win the match 2-1. After the game, the players joined the fans, giving a fitting send off to these historic grounds.
Amazing scenes as Girondins de Bordeaux celebrated their last game (2-1 win vs Nantes) in their stadium Stade Chaban-Delmas yesterday (they are moving in a new stadium), the players celebrated with the fans after the game. They played in this stadium since 1938.
Posted by Casual Ultra on Sunday, 10 May 2015